Professor / Reader in Digital Agriculture
Professor / Reader in Digital Agriculture, Dumfries
Salary £60,000 - £100,000 depending on experience & qualifications
Location Dumfries Ref: ASWF/R/008/19
SRUC is unique in Scotland and one of the largest organisations of its kind in Europe. Our ambitious and exciting vision is to work at local, national and international levels, leading innovation and sustainable development in agriculture and rural sectors.
The vision for Research and Teaching in SRUC is to be a leading and go-to institution, nationally and internationally, for teaching and conducting applied research to enhance the rural economy and environment. In addition to normal expectations of teaching and research quality, we expect our teaching and research to be relevant to a problem area where there is a real end-user need. Our programmes are tailored to emphasise, as the dominant theme, end-user pull whilst maintaining a strong spirit of innovation
The introduction of the Internet of Things and digital technologies is revolutionising how we collect and use data in farming. This offers exciting possibilities to transform the collection of agricultural and environmental data from upland and lowland agricultural systems. Such monitoring of an increasing range of information has the potential to markedly improve on-farm decision making. The collection and integration of such data also allows the production of highly responsive in silico models that allow simulations to be run across the supply chain from retailers and processors to individual farm units.
We are working with a range of partners to secure investment in state-of-the-art facilities for teaching, research and development within our South & West Faculty. This post will join the Faculty to develop new courses and modules in the area of digital agriculture and the Internet of Things. The successful applicant with lead collaborative activities in the area of the use of sensors and digital twinning based on our innovative upland and dairy agricultural and environmental. This post provides a unique opportunity to further develop SRUC’s presence in the area of SMART agriculture.
- Develop and lead an externally funded programme of research on digital agriculture and smart farming
- Lead engagement with external partners, nationally and globally. Work with SAC Consulting colleagues to develop and implement new concepts and approaches – again nationally and internationally. Lead SRUC’s international engagement in digital agriculture
- Contribute to teaching and development of courses/training.
- Develop their own research teams and support the work of other researchers.
- Supervise the work of PhD students.
- Contribute to the planning and development of facilities within the faculty.
Experience & Qualifications required
- Applicants will hold a PhD or have equivalent research experience in a relevant discipline. To be appointed at professorial level candidates should have an international profile in a relevant discipline, with sustained delivery of innovation and eminent research in the field. A track record of successful grant applications and high-quality publications is essential.
- The applicant will also have demonstrated academic leadership and will be responsible for developing strategic links across the SRUC and beyond that supplement our strengths and increase our standing as a teaching and research institution.
Please download and read the following information before proceeding with your application:
To apply for this role, please click APPLY.
Closing Date: 2 October 2019
All applications must include the following:
A full CV with your education and professional qualifications and full employment history.
A short supporting document explaining why this appointment interests you and how you meet the appointment criteria and key competencies as detailed above.
Current remuneration and contractual notice period.
Please note that CVs will not be accepted without a completed application form.
SRUC Leading the way in Agricultural and Rural Research, Education & Consultancy.
SRUC is committed to valuing Diversity, advancing Equality and respecting Human Rights throughout the organisation and encouraging applications from disabled people using the “Disability Confident Employer” symbol.
SRUC is a member of the Athena SWAN charter.
SRUC. A Charitable company limited by guarantee, SC003712. Registered in Scotland No SC103046
Closing date 2 October 2019