Postdoctoral Research Associate/Fellow, Automated Benthic Understanding
- Join a world-class marine robotics research team. Be part of the development of novel machine learning tools to classify marine environments using data collected by Autonomous Underwater Vehicles (AUVs)
- Located at the Australian Centre for Field Robotics, within the University of Sydney’s Faculty of Engineering
- Full-time Fixed term for up to 2 years, with opportunities to extend a further 6 months, subject to project funding. Academic Level A or B: package $94,629 p.a. –$106,343 p.a. plus leave loading and up to 17% superannuation
About the opportunity
The ACFR has funding available to support a Postdoctoral Researcher and PhD stipends to undertake fundamental and applied research related to the development, design and deployment of novel machine learning systems for classification of underwater images and derived products such as image mosaics and 3D reconstructions. The project will explore novel deep learning methods suitable for quantitative and semantic understanding of marine imagery using multi-modal datasets at landscape scale and characterise their performance so as to optimise survey parameters. Applications include rapid and cost-effective underwater environmental monitoring, marine archaeology, deep-sea geology and asset inspection.
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for a Postdoctoral Research Associate/Fellow who has:
- A PhD in a relevant field and extensive knowledge of machine learning including supervised, unsupervised and semi-supervised learning.
- Practical knowledge of active learning with imagery and field experience deploying underwater or other advanced robotic systems are desirable.
- A willingness to undertake field trips.
With support from the ACFR's technical and research staff you will be involved in the development of novel image classification and segmentation tools as well as their deployment in the service of marine robotic applications.
The University of Sydney’s Australian Centre for Field Robotics (ACFR) is one of Australia’s leading robotics research groups and undertakes fundamental and applied research in the area of field robotics. Their marine systems group is focused on the development of novel imaging payloads, sensors and vehicle systems for marine survey, visualization, clustering and classification of extensive marine-based image archives, characterization of change in multi-year surveys and adaptive mission planning for multi-vehicle systems. They lead Australia’s Integrated Marine Observing System (IMOS) AUV facility and undertake marine surveys at sites around Australia and overseas.
Since our inception 160 years ago, the University of Sydney has believed in education for all and that effective leadership makes lives better. These same values are reflected in our approach to diversity and inclusion, and underpin our long-term strategy for growth. We’re Australia's first university and have an outstanding global reputation for academic and research excellence. Across our campuses, we employ over 7600 academic and non-academic staff who support over 60,000 students.
We are undergoing significant transformative change which brings opportunity for innovation, progressive thinking, breaking with convention, challenging the status quo, and improving the world around us.
How to apply
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit sydney.edu.au/recruitment and search by the reference number 1763/0819F to apply.
Closing date: 11:30pm, Thursday 3 October 2019 (Sydney Time)
The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.
More searches like this
- Fixed Term Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering Academic Posts jobs in Sydney
- Fixed Term Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering Research Fellowships jobs in Sydney
- Fixed Term Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering Postdocs jobs in Sydney
- Fixed Term Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering Research Related jobs in Sydney
- Fixed Term Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering Research Associate jobs in Sydney