Professor/Assocaite/Assistant in Humanities and Social Sciences
Faculty Openings at Ashesi University: Humanities and Social Sciences
Ashesi University’s Head of Humanities & Social Sciences is seeking applicants with a Ph.D. for a full-time faculty position teaching any one of the following courses African Studies, Leadership, Written & Oral Communication, and Text & Meaning.
Ashesi’s mission is to propel an African renaissance by educating ethical, entrepreneurial leaders with the concern, courage, and compassion needed to transform their continent. Located in Ghana, this non-profit, multidisciplinary university combines a rigorous liberal arts core with degree programs in Computer Science, Business Administration, Management Information Systems, and Engineering. Ashesi is a recognised centre of educational excellence and innovation in Ghana and is a high-impact contributor in Africa’s higher education landscape.
Faculty at Ashesi make high-impact contributions to Ashesi’s mission and are recognised as thought leaders in academia and industry. As a 'teacher' at Ashesi, you will be helping shape our curriculum, strengthening our teaching and learning model, and working with some of the brightest students across Africa. And as a scholar, you will be working with motivated colleagues and students to uncover new knowledge in your chosen field.
About the Role
The Humanities & Social Sciences Department is committed to responsible scholarship and service with pedagogies (including FLIP: Focus on Your Learners by Involving Them in the Process), exploring healthy relations between technology, and the humanities and social sciences. The department comprises teachers with multi-disciplinary backgrounds endeavoring to promote rigorous scholarship that is rooted in interdisciplinary inquiry.
- A Ph.D. with teaching and research experience in any of the disciplines named above or a related field (a master’s degree with relevant teaching experience will also be considered for adjunct and assistant lecturer positions)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Passionate about applying best practices in pedagogy to the teaching of courses in the humanities at the undergraduate level
- Demonstrated capability in the use of computer technology
- Familiarity with the liberal arts method of instruction; an undergraduate education at a liberal arts college is a plus
- Willingness and ability to teach and continuously evolve cross-disciplinary liberal arts curriculam
- Prospective faculty should submit the following as part of their application
- Brief overview of research interests
- A Curriculum Vitae
- A one to two-page statement of teaching philosophy, explaining the benefits of the proposed approach to teaching and learning
- Names and contact addresses of three professional references, of whom at least two can directly attest to teaching and student counselling capabilities or potential
Screening of applicants will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Ashesi University does not discriminate against any person or group on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, pregnancy, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or genetic information. Ashesi University is building a faculty and staff committed to excellence and equity and encourages applications from people who value same.
Kindly note that only shortlisted candidates will be invited for an interview and may also be asked to conduct an academic seminar.
Kindly follow the link below to apply through our application portal: Apply Here