Senior Lecturer/Associate Professor in Geomatics
Work type: Continuing
Division/Faculty: Melbourne School of Engineering
Department/School: School of Electrical, Mechanical and Infrastructure Engineering
Role & Superannuation rate: Academic - Full time - 17% super
- Exciting time of growth and change for Australia’s oldest Engineering School!
- Join a team with global recognition in all three streams of Geomatics
- Join the team building tomorrow!!
About University of Melbourne
The University of Melbourne is consistently ranked among the leading universities in the world, at number 1 in Australia and number 32 in the world (Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2017-2018). We are globally engaged, comprehensive, research-intensive and committed to responding to the major challenges of our time.
About Melbourne School of Engineering (MSE)
Working at MSE is exciting and fast moving. We are working hard to transform engineering and IT research and teaching, guided by MSE 2025, our ten-year strategic plan. With an expected investment of $1 billion in people and infrastructure, we are creating the entrepreneurial leaders and technology of the future.
About the School of Electrical, Mechanical and Infrastructure Engineering (EMI)
We encompass the Electrical, Mechanical and Infrastructure Engineering Departments, recognising that engineered systems of present and future significance increasingly have connections to all three.
We are the oldest engineering school in Australia – initially founded in 1861 – and have evolved into a vibrant community of internationally recognised researchers focused on addressing major challenges of today and into the future.
The Department of Infrastructure Engineering (IE) combines the suite of disciplines of civil engineering, environmental engineering and geomatics into one department creating an unusually broad scope for our research and engineering education. Our aim is to build integrated capabilities that allow us to comprehensively solve infrastructure problems that are sustainable into the future.
We are seeking an outstanding and enthusiastic Geomatics specialist at either the Senior Lecturer or Associate Professor level. You research area will be capable of further strengthening the team’s expertise in any one of the following areas:
- measurement science
- spatial data infrastructure and land administration
- geographic information science
and additionally, broaden the geomatics team’s academic network and industry engagement.
Additionally, you will have the opportunity to shape the spatially-enabled, sustainable development of society by contributing to one of our broad engagements in:
- future digital infrastructure
- urban land administration systems
- autonomous systems platforms
- or spatially intelligent mobility
You will be supported to both independently and as a member of the team, work on all four pillars of your academic career by:
- pursuing internationally leading research,
- teaching and teaching innovation,
- engagement with industry and partner institutions,
- and taking on leadership roles within the University.
In research, you should be able to develop an internationally recognized and innovative research portfolio, as well as establish funding streams to support it. You should be able to contribute to, and in time lead, larger research initiatives within and beyond the department through industry engagements.
In teaching, you should be able to teach Australia’s best students at both undergraduate and Masters’ level, and to contribute to the innovation of the curriculum within the Geomatics and related disciplines.
- A PhD or equivalent in Geomatics or a cognate discipline
- A demonstrated track record of high-quality research, teaching and scholarship
- A track record in attracting research funding from competitive grant agencies and other sources
- Experience with undertaking collaborative research projects as part of a team across institutions and/or disciplines;
- A track record of engaging industry, government and/or the community in teaching;
- Demonstrated ability to teach effectively, including through design and project studios;
- Experience in curriculum development and implementation at undergraduate and postgraduate level that will maintains the highest international standards;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to engage with industry, government, research groups, diverse student cohorts and a variety of other stakeholders;
- Exhibited commitment to the highest standards of scientific and ethical integrity
- Demonstrated leadership and service to relevant domestic and international academic associations, journals and professional bodies.
What we offer you
We offer flexibility, whatever that may mean for you. Many of our benefit programs and onsite amenities are aimed at supporting you - including generous leave, child care subsidies, discounted parking, medical and health care. We offer extensive opportunities for personal and professional development and we’ll support you in doing what you love.
If you’re curious, motivated and ready to undertake a challenging and rewarding role we’re ready to meet you.
How to Apply
Apply online, complete the application and upload your Cover Letter and Resume. Please note, there is no need to address the selection criteria.
While we review your application, get to know us by visiting http://www.eng.unimelb.edu.au/about/join-mse/why-join-mse
Please note: ad extended to 22 September (from 30 Aug)
Applications close: 22 Sep 2019 11:55 PM AUS Eastern Standard Time