Assistant Research Technician, Voorhees Laboratory
Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
The Voorhees lab is seeking a motivated individual to work as part of a team to carry out structural and functional studies on protein biosynthesis and quality control. The work includes all aspects of molecular and structural biology including cryo-electron microscopy, cloning, protein expression, and protein biochemistry. This is a two year term position.
- Assist with general laboratory organization and set-up.
- Generate and maintain common laboratory reagents.
- Clone and test various protein expression constructs.
- Purification and analysis of single proteins and protein complexes.
- Functional experiments in mammalian cells and in vitro translation systems.
- Assist with electron microscopy grid preparation and data collection.
- A highly motivated and qualified candidate may develop independent projects.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in science with an educational emphasis in chemistry or biology required by date of hire.
- Must have good practical experience in all basic molecular biology techniques and be able to learn new skills related to all aspects of cryo-electron microscopy.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Excellent organization and communication skills are required.
- A background in molecular biology or structural biology.
- Experience with mammalian tissue culture.
- Protein purification experience.