Research Fellow, Insight Centre for Data Analytics
Insight Centre for Data Analytics
Level on Framework: Level 2
- Fixed Term Contract - 18 months
The Insight Centre for Data Analytics (http://www.Insight-centre.org) is a joint initiative between researchers at Dublin City University, NUI Galway, University College Cork, and, University College Dublin, as well as other partner institutions. It brings together a critical mass of more than 450 researchers from Ireland's leading ICT centers to develop a new generation of data analytics technologies in a number of key application areas.
The €150m Centre is funded by Science Foundation Ireland and a wide range of industry partners. Insight's research focus encompasses a broad range of data analytics technologies from machine learning, decision analytics and social network analysis to linked data, recommender systems and the sensor web. Together, with more than 220 partner companies, Insight researchers are solving critical challenges in the areas of Connected Health and the Discovery Economy.
Research Career Framework
As part of this role the researcher will be required to participate in the DCU Research Career Framework http://www.dcu.ie/hr/ResearchersFramework/index.shtml. This framework is designed to provide significant professional development opportunities to Researchers and offer the best opportunities in terms of a wider career path.
Background & Role
Insight wishes to recruit a Research Fellow on a fixed term contract basis to facilitate research into smart spaces and security applications under EU H2020 and SFI funded projects. The specific project for this role involves the development of novel media analytics methods and data gathering for various Internet of Things and Smart Environment applications including within the Smart Stadium and Smart Dublin initiatives.
As part of this role the researcher will be required to participate in the DCU Research Career Framework. This framework is designed to provide significant professional development opportunities to Researchers and offer the best opportunities in terms of a wider career path.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to his/her Principal Investigator the Research Fellow will:
- Take a lead role in managing a specific programme of research under the supervision of the Principal Investigator.
- Identify and secure external sources of funding and manage budgets and resources accordingly.
- Disseminate the outcomes of the research in which he/she is engaged including publishing in high quality peer reviewed journals of international standing.
- Manage and supervise research groups and teams, in particular, teams of researchers comprised of Summer interns, undergraduate students, early-stage PhD students and Postdoctoral researchers.
- Engage in appropriate training and development opportunities as required by the Principal Investigator, the School of Research Centre, or the University
- Engage in teaching and teaching support as assigned by the Head of School under the direction of the Principal Investigator.
- Manage and conduct administrative and management tasks associated with your programme of research.
- Provide support and advice to PhD students and postdocs working on similar topics.
- Participate in Insight Centre activities, such as industry showcases and annual reviews
The post holder will be required to undertake the following mandatory compliance training: Orientation, Health and Safety and Intellectual Property and Data Protection training. Other training may need to be undertaken when required.
It is essential that applicants have a PhD in Engineering or Computer Science. Applicants should have a minimum of 3 years relevant postdoctoral research experience or equivalent at Level 1 of the Research Career Framework. Previous experience at the level of Research Fellow (or equivalent) is preferred. In addition, it is essential that the candidate has a subset of the following skills
- Knowledge of one or more of: Java, C++, PHP, node.js, Objective-C, C.
- Experience working with UNIX, Linux, VMWare, Docker, OSX or Windows operating systems.
- Experience of developing web services.
- Experience of deploying and managing sensors.
- Experience of developing machine learning, especially deep learning based applications.
- Experience in one or more deep learning frameworks, such as PyTorch, Tensorflow, Theano, Keras, Lasagne etc.
- Experience of modern techniques and implementations in computer vision.
Salary Scale: * €53,776 – €58,597
*Appointment will be commensurate with qualifications and experience and will be made on the appropriate point of the salary scale, in line with current Government pay policy.
Closing date: 30th August 2019
Candidates will be assessed on the following competencies:
Discipline knowledge and Research skills – Demonstrates the ability to design and implement part of a programme of research (for example by using critical thinking and the application of relevant research methodologies).
Understanding the Research Environment – Demonstrates a thorough understanding of the research environment both nationally and internationally and the ability to contribute substantially to grant applications.
Communicating Research – Demonstrates the ability to communicate their research effectively to the research community and wider society (for example by publishing their research in high quality peer reviewed journals) and the ability to teach and tutor students.
Managing & Leadership skills - Successfully manages research projects including the management and supervision of postgraduates and/or junior research staff.
Informal enquiries to: Prof. Noel O’Connor, Insight Centre for Data Analytics, Dublin City University E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: +353 (0)1 700 5078
Application forms are available from the DCU Current Vacancies (Open Competitions) website at http://www4.dcu.ie/hr/vacancies/current.shtml and also from the Human Resources Department, Dublin City University, Dublin 9. Tel: +353 (0)1 700 5149; Fax: +353 (0)1 700 5500 Email: email@example.com
Please clearly state the role that you are applying for in your application and email subject line: Job Ref: #RF1265 Research Fellow Level 2
Applications should be submitted by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or by Fax: +353 (0)1 700 5500 or by post to the Human Resources Department, Dublin City University, Dublin 9, Ireland.
Dublin City University is an equal opportunities employer