Life Science Research Professional
Stanford University is seeking a Life Science Research Professional to provide scientific expertise for genomic based assays offered by the Stanford Functional Genomics Facility, such as single cell RNAseq, 10X Genomics, automation using robots, and Illumina sequencers that are applicable in the genetics and genomics fields for model and non-model organisms.
The LSRP will develop new protocols and test and evaluate a variety of approaches for production and quantitation of genomic samples for researchers using the service center. The employee will assume a high level of responsibility in formulating the general study plan, carrying out experiments that involve complex logistic and laboratory procedures, making recommendations on technical improvements and data analysis methods that require a high level of analytic skill and original thinking, preparing progress reports, assisting with new research proposals and applications for funding and grants, and acting as the liaison to technical support at companies, collaborators, and other groups or facilities on campus on issues related to the technical aspects of the facility research projects.
- Independently conduct a portion of the research project(s). Make recommendations on experimental design and/or research direction to principal investigator.
- Independently conduct complex (lab and/or field) experiments to gather data for a portion of a major research project.
- Interpret and analyze results, often where few guidelines exist, and make modifications to existing procedures and protocols.
- Develop new research protocols where appropriate protocols are not described in the literature or where modification or adaptation of standard procedures and protocols is required.
- Participate in multidisciplinary teams across different faculties or schools.
- Perform ongoing literature review to remain current with new procedures and related research; apply to ongoing research and development of new protocols.
- Contribute substantively to the preparation of papers for publication, especially in the results section, and to publication of findings. Present ongoing work to colleagues and/or academic conferences.
- Oversee supply and equipment budget under supervision of principal investigator or business manager.
- Work with health and safety department to ensure lab complies with regulations and all required trainings.
- Supervise (either formally or informally) staff or students as needed, including oversight and direction on techniques, as well as consultation on project work. Serve as a technical resource for other research staff.
- Oversee the daily activities of the laboratory including lab maintenance; maintain lab stock, manage chemical inventory and safety records, and provide general lab support as needed. May assist with purchasing laboratory equipment.
*- Other duties may also be assigned.
- Degree in Genetics, Biology, Molecular Biology, Biochemistry or related field.
- In depth knowledge of genetics and genomics.
- Experience with lab techniques including single-cell RNAseq, 10X Genomics, automation using robots, Illumina sequencers.
- The requisite combination of education and/or experience in the field to work independently, and to serve as a resource for users; to train new users, and help self-operators solve problems with their instrument operations.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE (REQUIRED):
- Bachelor's degree in related scientific field and two years of relevant work experience; or Master’s degree in a related scientific field.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED):
- Comprehensive understanding of scientific principles.
- General computer skills and ability to quickly learn and master computer programs, databases, and scientific applications.
- Strong analytical skills and excellent judgment.
- Ability to maintain detailed records of experiments and outcomes.
- Ability to work under deadlines with general guidance is essential.
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to accurately complete detailed work.
- Frequently stand, walk, twist, bend, stoop, squat, grasp lightly, use fine manipulation, grasp forcefully, perform desk-based computer tasks, use telephone, write by hand, lift, carry, push and pull objects weighing over 40 pounds.
- Occasionally sit, kneel, crawl, reach and work above shoulders, sort and file paperwork or parts.
- Rarely climb, scrub, sweep, mop, chop and mix or operate hand and foot controls.
- Must have correctible vision to perform duties of the job.
- Ability to bend, squat, kneel, stand, reach above shoulder level, and move on hard surfaces for up to eight hours.
- Ability to lift heavy objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to work in a dusty, dirty, and odorous environment.
- Position may require repetitive motion.
*- Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
- May require working in close proximity to blood borne pathogens.
- Position may at times require the employee to work with or be in areas where hazardous materials and/or infectious diseases are present.
- Employee must perform tasks that require the use of personal protective equipment, such as safety glasses and shoes, protective clothing and gloves, and possibly a respirator.
- May require extended or unusual work hours based on research requirements and business needs
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors bases on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University’s Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4952
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: G