Research Officer, Department of Animal, Plant and Soil Sciences
- Full time position
- Based at CSIRO Toowoomba office
- Fixed Term contract until September 2022
- $67,796 - $90,821 per annum plus up to 17% superannuation
About the role
The postdoctoral fellow will conduct a project that will upgrade the current APSIM-Mungbean model and integrate this into the NexGen crop models being developed in APSIM currently. The main goals are to improve the ability to simulate differences amongst cultivars, and to develop greater functionality in terms of sensitivity to water and temperature stresses and drivers of canopy development.
These additions will allow for extrapolation of field-based experiments from mungbean agronomy projects across a range of climatic and environmental conditions. This will allow for predictions of long-term optimal agronomic practices such as times of sowing to optimize crop harvest index and yield, flowering time to reduce heat or cold stress, and exploring the interactions of different irrigation strategies or soil water conditions.
Skills & Experience
To be successful in this position the preferred candidate will have:
- A doctorate in a relevant discipline area, such as agricultural science, crop or forage physiology, systems modelling;
- High level written and oral communication skills with the ability to represent the research team effectively internally and externally, including publishing scientific papers in peer reviewed journals and/or reports, and presenting at national and/or international conferences;
- Evidence of experience in research and evaluation and the ability to work effectively under limited supervision or independently;
- A record of science innovation and creativity, including the ability & willingness to incorporate novel ideas and approaches into scientific investigations.
Please click on this link for a full list of Benefits http://www.latrobe.edu.au/jobs/working/benefits
How to Apply
Closing date: 11 pm Sunday 22nd September 2019
Position Enquiries: Dr Marisa Collins,
TEL: (03) 90327473
This position is open to people with a valid full-time working visa.
Please address Key Selection Criteria and attach these with your application.
Only candidates with full working rights in Australia may apply for this position.
Please submit an online application ONLY and include the following documents:
- Cover letter;
- An up to date resume; and
- A separate document addressing each essential and desirable bullet point in the Key Selection Criteria which is located in the position description.
Please scroll down to apply.
La Trobe University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All La Trobe University employees are bound by the Working with Children Act 2005. If you are successful, you will be required to hold a valid Queensland Employee Working with Children Check prior to commencement.
For further enquiries on how to apply for this role, please contact Recruitment Partner Justin Bolton on +61 (03) 9479 1073
To apply and to view position description please visit http://www.latrobe.edu.au/jobs and search for job number 558661 under current vacancies.
About La Trobe
La Trobe University’s success is driven by people who are committed to making a difference. They are creative and highly motivated, pursue new ideas and create knowledge. La Trobe is one of Australia’s research leaders, and the largest provider of higher education to regional Victoria. La Trobe University turned 50 in 2017, and over the half century of its existence it has established a reputation as an innovative and accessible university, willing to take risks and take on challenges. Our teaching and research address some of the most significant issues of our time and we’re passionate about driving change through operational excellence to benefit the communities we serve.