Research Assistant in Physics/Optical Engineering
Closing date 25 Aug 2019 23:00 (UK time)
Department Heriot-Watt University Malaysia
About Heriot-Watt University
Heriot-Watt University has five campuses: three in the UK (Edinburgh, Scottish Borders and Orkney), one in Dubai and one in Malaysia. The University offers a highly distinctive range of degree programmes in the specialist areas of science, engineering, design, business and languages.
With a history dating back to 1821, Heriot-Watt University has established a reputation for world-class teaching and practical, leading-edge research, which has made it one of the top UK universities for business and industry. We connect with industry at every level and develop programmes to match their needs – so employers get work-ready industry-fit graduates.
Heriot-Watt is also Scotland's most international university, boasting the largest international student cohort.
We have an established set of values that help us to nurture innovation and leadership, and show our commitment to continuous improvement and development in all our activities.
For full details on our University please view our Careers at Heriot-Watt http://www.hw.ac.uk/about/careers-at-heriot-watt.htm
About our Team
Heriot-Watt University Malaysia (HWUM) is a UK university campus based in Putrajaya, Malaysia. HWUM is the second international campus of Heriot-Watt University ("HWU") which is a leading research-intensive UK university, specialising in science, technology, engineering, business, languages, textiles and design. With an international reputation for scientific and technological excellence, the University is truly global in scope and scale with a campus in Dubai, three campuses in Scotland and over 150 partners world-wide.
HWUM is operating from a stunning, purpose-built, eco-friendly, lakeside campus that currently has more than 2,000 students. Besides the academic offerings that range from Foundation to Undergraduate and Postgraduate programmes in Business, Engineering, Construction, Actuarial Science and more, the university is a pioneer in Impact-Based and Positive Education aiming at developing Purpose-driven, resilient and world-ready graduates.
With highly motivated community, state-of-the-art learning resources and world-class learning and teaching facilities, the Putrajaya campus is a dynamic and stimulating place to study, grow and flourish. Students studying at Heriot-Watt University Malaysia undertake a well-structured developmental programme that takes them in four stages to develop the skills of knowing and leading self, leading teams, leading communities and leading enterprise. This inculcates emotional intelligence, interpersonal and analytical skills sought after by employers. Learning outcomes and standards are identical across all campuses which enables students to seamlessly transfer between campuses.
Heriot-Watt University Malaysia is seeking to recruit an enthusiastic candidate to help deliver research in the area of Physics/Optical Engineering. The successful candidate will be employed for a period of 12 months, and will be required to fulfil the research obligations of a project entitled 'Fundamental Study of the Dependence of Pulse Duration on the Modulation Depth of a MoS2-based Q-Switched Fibre Laser' . This research is funded by the Ministry of Education and aims to study the underlying principles of short pulse - high peak power Q-switched fibre laser using MoS2 as saturable absorber (SA) material, and also the relationship between the pulse duration and modulation depth of the SA material. The outcome is expected to have controllable (based on modulation depth) high peak power, short pulse Q-switched fibre laser.
The post-holder will be required to demonstrate a thorough knowledge of atomic, optical & solid state/semiconductor physics, physical chemistry (chemical bonding & structure) or material science (structural dynamics), and to have a working knowledge of a range of topics within the sphere of their chosen discipline. They will also be expected to work as part of a wider research team, and to develop strong links with colleagues located at the Malaysia and Scottish campuses, as well as with those partners and collaborators related to the project.
All of the research activities and the project reporting will be undertaken in English and so fluency is essential. The successful candidate will also be required to register for a higher research degree, for example, Doctor of Philosophy or Master of Philosophy, for which a tuition fee waiver will be granted. As a requirement of the tuition fee waiver, the post-holder may also be required to tutor undergraduate students.
The role will be based at the University's campus in Putrajaya, the administrative capital of Malaysia. The candidate will have the access to established university resources, and an induction programme will be delivered to all new appointees.
Key duties and responsibilities
- Conduct and manage research and related administrative activities, with guidance as required, ensuring that project aims and objectives are met.
- Working closely with the supervisory team, develop and plan research objectives.
- Present information on research progress and outcomes to, for example, project lead, funding body, university research committee, research team, etc.
- Publish research reports, conference and indexed journal papers in line with project requirements.
- Build appropriate networks within and outside the team.
- Support dissemination and contribute to technical workshops, seminars and conferences as appropriate
- Where needed, travel to partner universities (research collaborators) to carry out research and/or attend meetings presentations etc.
- Ensure that all data collection undertaken as part of the project is done so ethically and in line with both UK (GDPR) and Malaysian privacy and data protection policies, and in compliance with the requirements of the funder.
- Provide tutoring and assist in the supervision of student research projects as necessary.
- Register as a Master (by research) or PhD student, and fulfill all obligations of this registration and course of study.
Applicants should note that the Intellectual property generated as part of this research will belong to both Heriot-Watt University Malaysia and the project funder.
Please note that this job description is not exhaustive, and the role holder may be required to undertake other relevant duties commensurate with the grading of the post and its general responsibilities. Activities may be subject to amendment over time as the role develops and/or priorities and requirements evolve.
Education, qualifications and experience
Essential Criteria - these are attributes without which a candidate would not be able to undertake the full remit of the role. Applicants who do not clearly demonstrate in their application that they possess the essential requirements will normally be eliminated at the short listing stage.
Desirable Criteria - these are attributes which would be useful for the candidate to hold. When shortlisting, these criteria will be considered when more than one applicant meets the essential criteria.
Education and Qualifications
- Bachelor degree in Physics, Chemistry or related cognate discipline
- Satisfies the entry requirement for MPhil or PhD programme, Heriot-Watt University
- Master or equivalent in appropriate discipline
- Note - For BEng or MEng holder, Optical/Photonic, Electrical/Electronics, Chemical or Mechanical Engineering is preferred.
Means of Assessment
- Knowledge of atomic, optical & solid state/semiconductor physics, physical chemistry (chemical bonding & structure) or material science (structural dynamics).
- Clear communicator with good reading and writing skills; good at understanding and explaining concepts
- Knowledge of laser physics and structural dynamics of 2-D material.
- Knowledge/skills in programming & simulation (C or C++, FORTRAN, Visual Basic, COMSOL Physics, Python).
- Experience in fusion splicing, handling fibre-based components, 2D-materials synthesis, processing, fabrication and characterization.
- Possesses research and analytical skills with strong capacity to conduct independent research
- Research experience
- Experience of publishing papers in journals/ conferences
- Successful completion of funded research and/or funded knowledge exchange
Means of Assessment
- Application form and interview
Competencies, Skills & Knowledge
- Ability to conceptualize problems and develop well-reasoned and logical viewpoints
- Fluent (verbal and written) in English
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Software (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Hardworking, proactive, willing to learn new things
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Flexible, self-motivated and able to plan his/her own work
- Good interpersonal skills
Means of Assessment
- Application form and interview
Special Factors (if applicable)
- Nationality must be Malaysian
- Enjoys being part of an academic community, and willing to take a 'hands on' approach from the outset.
How To Apply
Applications should be submitted to the iRecruit.
Applications must be submitted by 25 August 2019. If you are not contacted by the selection committee by 3 September 2019 then please assume that on this occasion your application has been unsuccessful.
The University is committed to equality of opportunity.
More searches like this
- Permanent Engineering & Technology Research Assistants / Officers jobs in Malaysia
- Permanent Physical Sciences Research Assistants / Officers jobs in Malaysia
- Permanent General Engineering Research Assistants / Officers jobs in Malaysia
- Permanent Physics & Astronomy Research Assistants / Officers jobs in Malaysia