Professor of English
Professor of English
ACADEMIC DISCIPLINE: Literature, Translation and Interpreting, Linguistics
POSITION TITLE: Professor
LOCATION: SUZHOU CAMPUS
SALARY: Commensurate with experience and includes a general allowance and benefits package
POSITION OPEN DATE: Fall Semester 2019
ADVERTISEMENT CLOSING DATE: 30 June 2019
JOB ID: 995838
CONTRACT TYPE: Full-time and open-ended
UNIVERSITY AND DEPARTMENT OVERVIEW:
Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is a unique collaborative institution and the first joint-venture university in China to offer both UK (University of Liverpool) and Chinese (Ministry of Education) accredited undergraduate degrees for all programmes. Formed in 2006, the first cohort of students graduated in August 2010. The University now has over 10,000 students studying on campus. The language of instruction is English. XJTLU aims to become truly research-led, and has recently committed significant investment into research development and the expansion of PhD student numbers on campus.
XJTLU is located in the Higher Education Town of Suzhou Industrial Park (SIP). Suzhou has been ranked the 74th most liveable city in the 2018 Global Liveability Index. Additionally, it is well-connected via nearby airports to cities such as Hong Kong, Seoul, Tokyo, and Taipei, and via high-speed rail to other major cities in China. SIP is a major growth zone, including operations run by nearly one-fifth of the Fortune 500 top global companies. Greater Suzhou is now the fourth largest concentration of economic activity in China in terms of GDP, and the SIP has a higher GDP per capita than the UK. The broader Suzhou area encompasses the spirit of both old and new in China, with the
The Department of English specialises in English Literature, Translation and Interpreting, and Linguistics. At undergraduate level it teaches degrees in English combined with Communications, International Business, and Finance, as well as a degree in Applied English. At postgraduate level it has a very successful programme in English language training – an MA TESOL.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
The position of Professor is crucial to the effective operation of the Department of English. This position performs a key leadership role at international level, with full engagement with the University’s strategies and policies. This position also carries with it the expectation for the successful candidate to provide academic leadership in the Department’s development of both research and teaching.
Suitable candidates for the Professorial role will be able to evidence:
- PhD Degree in English or a closely related field.
- International standing and profile within one of the disciplines of Literature, Translation and Interpreting, and Lingusitics, as evidenced by high quality publications, grant income and citation and impact indices.
- An excellent track record in teaching and curriculum development, and the ability to provide academic leadership.
- Distinguished academic leadership at an international level.
- Considerable leadership and management experience, including the effective management and use of resources.
- An ability to act as a mentor for younger members of staff.
- Willingness and ability to take on major leadership roles within the University, and to perform the role successfully as measured by performance indicators and university wide-evaluation.
- An ability to contribute to the development and implementation of University strategies and policies.
Members of Academic Staff are entitled to subsidies for accommodation, travel, and children’s educational, medical insurance, and a one-time relocation allowance is provided. Overseas staff may receive a tax “holiday,” depending on nationality and personal circumstances.
Funding for research activities are available through University funding schemes.
CITIZENSHIP AND VISA REGULATIONS:
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 55 may be not eligible for PRC work visa.
Please send your application to AcademicPositions@xjtlu.edu.cn. In the subject line write the Positon you are applying for and quote the job ID number for reference.
Applications must be submitted in a single pdf file that includes 3 parts in the order of:
- A cover letter
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level
- Contact Details for Three References
Applications should be received by the closing date stated above.
Informal enquiries about procedure may be addressed to the Staff Management Team at AcademicPositions@xjtlu.edu.cn. Please quote the position and job ID in your enquiry.
More substantive issues may be addressed to the Vice President Academic Affairs, Prof David Goodman at firstname.lastname@example.org