Senior / Academic Research Scientist - Animal Nutrition
Senior / Academic Research Scientists - Animal Nutrition, Edinburgh
Type Fixed term
Job title Senior / Academic Research Scientists - Animal Nutrition, Edinburgh
Salary £35,353 - £47,693 per annum
Location Easter Bush, near Edinburgh
SENIOR / ACADEMIC RESEARCH SCIENTIST - ANIMAL NUTRITION
Easter Bush, Edinburgh, UK
£35,353 - £47,693 per annum
SRUC is unique in Scotland and one of the largest organisations of its kind in Europe. Our ambitious and exciting vision is to work at local, national and international levels, leading innovation and sustainable development in agriculture and rural sectors.
A new and exciting strategic position is available at SRUC’s Monogastric Science Research Centre for a Senior Academic Research Scientist in Animal Nutrition, to take forward SRUC’s client-facing research portfolio on nutritional sensitivity of animal production, health, disease, environmental footprint and product safety, ranging from the strategically academic to the commercially applied.
A brand new state-of-the-art Poultry Unit and recently refurbished Pig Unit complete the relocation of SRUC’s Animal Nutrition Research to Edinburgh, and facilitate close collaborations with other SRUC staff in the Roslin Institute Building, Easter Bush (where these posts will be based), and the wider local, national and international academic and commercial research communities.
Essential Qualifications, Skills and experience:
- It is essential that you possess a PhD (or equivalent) level qualification in a discipline directly related to Animal Nutrition, with emphasis on, but not limited to, Poultry Nutrition.
- Good written and oral communication abilities, and excellent presentation skills
- Computer literate for word processing, spreadsheet and database use through Microsoft programs etc.
- Data handling and analyses skills, statistics, including microbiome
- Ability to work in a team and take responsibility for activities
- Proven ability to win academic research projects over a significant period of time, with an emphasis on monogastric nutrition work
- Significant publication record in high quality peer reviewed journals
- Demonstrable knowledge of Animal Nutrition
- Ability to work in a culturally diverse team
- Willingness to do additional tasks
- Drivers licence
- Creative skills and a flexible, problem-solving approach
- Team-working attitude
Desirable Qualifications, Skills and experience:
- Associated professor (or equivalent) in an area related to Animal Nutrition (Poultry, Pigs, Ruminants)
- Regulated procedures with monogastrics (experimental challenge, blood sampling etc)
- Laboratory molecular biology skills (qPCR etc)
- Previous experience in a similar role
- Proven experience of module and/or lecture delivery
- Detailed knowledge of Animal Production, Microbiology, Immunology, Pathology, Life-cycle assessment
- High self-motivation
- Ability to work to strict deadlines
- Strong track records in grant winning and peer-reviewed publication are essential, whilst experience in research and lecturing on nutritional concepts across animal species is highly desired.
SRUC offers an attractive salary package based on experience and qualifications. The appointment will be made on either Grade 2 or 3 pay scale depending on qualifications and experience:
Grade 3: £35,353 - £38,980 per annum
Grade 2: £40,691 - £47,693 per annum
Please note this is a fixed term contract to April 2022.
Closing date: 6 June 2019
A full clean driving licence is essential for this role as some travel to remote locations may occasionally be required.
Please download and read the following information before proceeding with your application:
To apply for this role, please click APPLY
Please note that CVs will not be accepted without a completed application form.
SRUC Leading the way in Agricultural and Rural Research, Education & Consultancy.
SRUC is committed to valuing Diversity, advancing Equality and respecting Human Rights throughout the organisation and encouraging applications from disabled people using the “Disability Confident Employer” symbol. SRUC is a member of the Athena SWAN charter.
SRUC. A Charitable company limited by guarantee, SC003712. Registered in Scotland No SC10304
Closing date 6 June 2019