Lecturer/Senior Lecturer in Veterinary Surgery, Education-Focused
Sydney School of Veterinary Science
Faculty of Science
- Fabulous opportunity for a member of the Australia New Zealand College of Veterinary Scientists in small animal surgery (or similar) to develop teaching, clinical and research expertise
- May be based at either the Camperdown or Camden Campuses, Sydney School of Veterinary Science
- Full-time Continuing Role, Academic Level B/C, Base Salary: $104,155 p.a. - $147,115 p.a. plus leave loading and a generous employer’s contribution to superannuation.
About the opportunity
A unique opportunity exists for a veterinarian with membership of the Australia New Zealand College of Veterinary Scientists, by examination, in small animal surgery (or equivalent qualification) to develop her/his career in veterinary surgery and veterinary education. If you have a passion for small animal surgery, the education of others and your own professional development, we would like to hear from you.
This education-focused position is a specialised category of academic engagement reserved for talented educators. The successful candidate will receive formal training in tertiary education in her/his first year and from year two on, will be expected to make a significant contribution to teaching and learning practice, design and evaluation within the School. You will be on a trajectory towards leadership in educational design and delivery.
In any given week, your duties may comprise:
- practical training of DVM students in practical laboratory sessions;
- involvement in the student-focused spey clinics run by the School;
- designing teaching and assessment materials;
- education administration; and
- managing your own caseload in the School’s Veterinary Teaching Hospitals.
Depending on the successful candidate’s career aspirations and abilities, opportunities exist to tailor your career by studying towards a higher degree by research or transitioning into a residency program in small animal surgery.
The successful candidate must have:
- Membership to the Australia New Zealand College of Veterinary Scientists by examination in small animal surgery (or equivalent);
- At least five years’ experience in private practice or university practice;
- A degree in Veterinary Science (e.g. BVSc) or Veterinary Medicine (e.g. DVM) that is registrable with the NSW Board of Veterinary Practitioners.
Other attributes may include:
- A higher degree by research (e.g. Masters or PhD);
- Teaching experience and/or qualifications;
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity.
This position is within the Sydney School of Veterinary Science, Faculty of Science at the University of Sydney.
The Sydney School of Veterinary Science (SSVS) is an internationally renowned provider of education and research and is the top-ranked veterinary school in the Southern Hemisphere, according to QS, where it is ranked 9thglobally.
The School provides first class veterinary primary care and referral services across all major species to support high quality teaching and research that meets global accreditation standards. The University Veterinary Teaching Hospitals (UVTH) comprise the University Veterinary Teaching Hospital, Sydney (UVTHS) located at the Camperdown campus, and an equine and small animal hospital, a wildlife, exotic, reptile and avian hospital and ambulatory livestock and equine services at the Camden campus (UVTHC). The University has established and advanced the standard for primary and specialty practice in Australia, through its 5000 plus graduates, continuing education and its clinical services, as the only veterinary school in the Southern Hemisphere to operate continuously since 1910.
For more information on the position and University, please view the candidate information pack available from the job’s listing on the University of Sydney careers website.
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit sydney.edu.au/recruitment and search by the reference number 762/0419C to apply.
Closing date: 11:30pm, 5 June 2019 (Sydney Time)
The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.
More searches like this
- Permanent Education Lecturers / Assistant Professors Camden jobs in Camperdown
- Permanent Social Sciences Lecturers / Assistant Professors Camden jobs in Camperdown
- Permanent Life sciences Lecturers / Assistant Professors Camden jobs in Camperdown
- Permanent Veterinary Science Lecturers / Assistant Professors Camden jobs in Camperdown