Physics Instructor Pool Academic Year 19/20
Appointment Type Academic Teaching/Research Faculty
Job Location Bend
Position Appointment Percent Varies
Appointment Basis 9
Faculty Status Regular
Tenure Status Fixed-Term
Pay Method Salary
Recommended Full-Time Salary Range Salary is commensurate with education and experience.
OSU-Cascades in Bend, Oregon invites applications for one or more fixed-term, non-tenure-track full or part-time Instructor positions to teach on a term by term basis for the 2019-2020 academic year. The intention of this pool is to collect applications for current or future opportunities and does not necessarily imply a position is available at this time. Some of these appointments may be reviewed for renewal or transition to an instructional position on an annual basis at the discretion of the Dean of Academic Affairs.
Instructors may be needed to teach on campus undergraduate courses in the following area(s): Physics. In addition to teaching Physics courses, instructors may also be needed to teach on campus undergraduate courses in closely related areas such as Engineering. If hired into a term appointment, the anticipated start date(s) are September 16, 2019, December 16, 2019 or March 16, 2020.
The primary mission of the College of Science Program at OSU-Cascades is to provide undergraduate level education in support of a variety of majors. The curriculum encompasses most standard fields of the discipline.This position is designed to foster critical thinking, advance student’s knowledge and skills through the teaching of various discipline/courses. The incumbent(s) are expected to provide an intellectual foundation for students concerning the discipline. The courses serve students in degree programs.
OSU-Cascades, located in Bend, Oregon is a branch campus of Oregon State University. Established in 2001, the university currently enrolls more than 1,100 students in bachelor’s and master’s degree programs. The campus expanded to a four-year university in 2015, and opened its new campus in 2016. The branch campus has ambitious enrollment goals to reach 3,000 to 5,000 students by 2025. OSU-Cascades is engaged in building a culturally diverse and community-centric educational environment.
- Administer and teach course(s) term-by-term in one or more of these disciplines:
- Physics. In addition to teaching Physics courses, instructors may also be needed to teach on campus undergraduate courses in closely related areas such as Engineering.
- Complete course assessment processes and continuously improve teaching effectiveness.
5% – Participate in advising and mentoring students:
- Advise students, be available for office hours, complete record-keeping and minor administrative tasks.
- Master’s degree in one of the fields listed (or a related field) is a requirement: Physics.
Preferred (Special) Qualifications
- PhD or terminal degree in Physics, or other closely related field.one of the fields listed (or a related field).
- 3+ years experience in professional or consulting role specializing in applied Physics.
- Teaching experience at the college or university level, a strong commitment to undergraduate education and equity, service to students.
- Demonstrable commitment to promoting and enhancing diversity.
Working Conditions / Work Schedule
Work schedule may vary depending upon student needs and engagement in campus and/or program activities.
This position requires a clear and unambiguous commitment to compliance of all National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) regulations for Division I (FBS) universities.