Senior Lecturer in Fashion Marketing
Application closing date: 28/03/2019
Location: Llandaff Campus
Salary: £45,892 - £53,174 Per annum
This is a key post that will contribute to the ambitions of the University's Strategic Plan 2017/18 - 2022/23.
The Marketing and Strategy department is seeking to appoint a motivated and enthusiastic academic at the Senior Lecturer level specialising in the field of Fashion Marketing. The department's fashion marketing portfolio currently includes BA (Hons) Fashion Marketing Management and will be adding BA (Hons) Fashion Buying and Brand Management in September 2019. Both degrees have a strong focus on the unique way in which fashion products are developed, sourced and marketed and offer a blend of marketing content with specialist knowledge of the fashion industry.
In addition to our Fashion degrees the department also offers undergraduate and postgraduate degrees in Marketing and Digital Marketing as well as being a CIM Accredited Study Centre. You will be working with a team of highly skilled and motivated marketers to build and raise the profile of Fashion Marketing within the school and at a regional level.
- Have an excellent awareness of marketing, fashion, buying, merchandising, VM, journalism, film/photography and their impact upon the fashion marketing and society alike.
- Design your teaching to be informed by contemporary research which leads to students developing the ability to engage in current debates, discourse and logical thinking.
- Have both academic experience, and also experience of working in or closely with the fashion industry.
- Be proactive, inspiration and highly motivated with experience of innovative teaching and successful development, planning and co-ordination of module and/or programmes of study and teaching/teams.
- Through your professional networks, you will promote the continuous development of the courses, reflecting critically on the broader context of practice and educational provision internationally.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
Teaching and learning support
- Design, develop and deliver a range of programmes of study (sometimes for entirely new courses) at various levels.
- Review on a regular basis course content and materials, updating when required.
- Develop and apply appropriate teaching techniques and material which create interest, understanding and enthusiasm amongst students.
- Ensure that course design and delivery comply with the quality standards and regulations of the university and department.
Research and scholarship
- Lead research and/or innovation proposals and projects with the potential to generate income, to manage project deliverables, deliver outputs and secure impact.
- Work with university stakeholders to identify sources of research funding and lead the process of securing funds.
- Manage the delivery of individual and/or collaborative research projects to time and on budget.
- Apply knowledge acquired from research and innovation as well as scholarship to learning and teaching, and appropriate external activities Lead the design and production of peer-reviewed publications and/or practitioner outputs, and/or disseminate research findings using other appropriate media.
- Make presentations at local, national and international academic and/or practitioner conferences or exhibit work in other appropriate events.
- Disseminate conceptual and complex ideas to a wide variety of audiences.
Liaison and networking
- Lead and develop internal networks for example by chairing and participating in School andInstitutional committees.
- Provide professional advice e.g. act as external examiner.
- Lead and develop external networks for example with external examiners and assessors e.g. professional associations.
- Develop links with external contacts such as other educational bodies, employers, and professional bodies to foster collaboration.
- Provide academic leadership to those working within programme areas, as course leader or equivalent, by for example agreeing work plans to ensure that courses are delivered effectively or organising the work of a team by agreeing objectives and work plans with reference to the Academic Handbook.
- Contributing to the development of teams and individuals.
- Act as a personal mentor to peers and colleagues.
- Resolve problems affecting the quality of course delivery and student progress within of own areas of responsibility, referring more serious matters to others, as appropriate.
- Leading/contributing to courses through pedagogy /research activity.
- Help to lead teams within areas of responsibility.
- Help to ensure that teams within the department work together.
- Participate to help resolve conflicts within and between teams.
- Responsible for dealing with referred issues for students within own educational programmes.
- Provide first line support for colleagues, referring them to sources of further help if required.
Initiative, problem-solving and decision-making
Resolve problems affecting the delivery of courses within own educational programme and in accordance with regulations.
Make decisions regarding the operational aspects of own educational programme.
- e.g. Contribute to decisions which have an impact on other related programmes.
- e.g. Monitor student progress and retention.
- e.g. Provide advice on issues such as ensuring the adequate balance of student population, appointment and student and other performance matters.
- e.g. Spotting opportunities for strategic development of new courses or appropriate areas of activity and contributing to the development of such ideas.
Planning and managing resources
- Responsible for the delivery of own educational programmes.
- Contribute through the teams within which you are a member of to the overall management of the department in areas such as resource management, business and programme planning.
- Lead in setting standards and monitoring progress against agreed criteria for own area of responsibility.
- Be involved through various routes in departmental level strategic planning and contribute to the Institution's strategic planning processes.
- Plan and deliver consultancy or similar programmes within the constraints of resourcesavailable.
- Be responsible for quality, audit and other external assessments in own areas of responsibility.
Sensory, physical and emotional demands.
- Balance the pressures of teaching and administrative demands and competing deadlines.
Within the context of Cardiff Metropolitan University's H&S Policy depending on area of work (e.g. laboratories, workshops, studios) may be expected to take responsibility for conducting risk assessments and reducing hazards.
In-depth understanding of own specialism to enable the development of new knowledge and understanding within the field.
Education and Qualifications (Essential)
- A good honours degree
- Ability to achieve Fellow Status as part of the Higher Education Academy's Professional Recognition scheme, within agreed timescales (as soon as is practicably possible and definitely within three years of commencement of employment).
- Membership of a professional body related to either Marketing and/or the Fashion Industry
Education and Qualifications (Desirable)
- An earned doctoral level qualification
- Fellow Status as part of the Higher Education Academy's Professional Recognition scheme.
- CIM Qualification
- An in-depth knowledge of specialist subject and professional area.
- An in-depth understanding of pedagogy
- An in-depth understanding of research/enterprise and scholarly activity
- National /international recognition in specialist subject and professional area
Skills and Abilities Relating to Role (Essential)
- Ability to design, develop and deliver a range of programmes at various levels.
- Ability to review programme design on a regular basis to ensure compliance with quality standards and academic regulations and to make alterations where appropriate.
- Ability to contribute to the achievement of the School Development Plan and the institutions strategic planning processes.
- Ability to identify opportunities for strategic development/improvement e.g. new courses, consultancy.
- Ability to identify (through the analysis of appropriate management information) areas requiring improved performance e.g. student numbers, student satisfaction.
- Ability to take responsibility for a number of key areas such as Chairing and participating in School and Institutional committees, leading projects.
- Ability to communicate and disseminate complex and conceptual ideas in a variety of ways - presentations, reports, learning materials, results of scholarly activity, feedback etc. to a wide variety of audiences.
- Ability to lead and contribute to the development of teams to ensure effective and productive working relationships.
- Ability to lead/develop/work collaboratively with a number of internal and external networks, e.g. professional associations, external examiners.
- Ability to plan workloads and projects and manage resources effectively.
- Ability to provide professional advice to a wide range of stakeholders.
Skills and Abilities Relating to Role (Desirable)
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral with good planning, motivation and self-organisational skills.
- Proven time management skills.
- Ability to use initiative, to adopt an active approach to problem solving using imagination and creativity when finding solutions to problems.
Experience Paid/Unpaid (Essential)
- Experience of HE teaching or equivalent.
- Experience of providing academic leadership and first line support/mentoring for other colleagues.
- Experience of engaging in pedagogic and practitioner research.
- Experience of contributing to the development of academic strategies for example, teaching and learning, research and enterprise.
- Experience of managing performance through the setting, monitoring and review of objectives.
- Experience of working in, or closely with, the fashion industry.
Experience Paid/Unpaid (Desirable)
- Experience of working in multi-disciplinary teams
- Experience in participating in extracurricular activities
- Experience of working in an internationalised classroom context
Other Requirements (Essential)
- Ability to risk assess and implement policy/strategy in relation to Equality and Diversity, Health and Safety, Quality Standards.
Other Requirements (Desirable)
- Ability to speak Welsh