Head of Professional Development
Location: London Shepherds Bush
Closing date: 14/02/2019
Employment type: Permanent
Department: School of Business & Technology
The BPP School of Business and Technology is recruiting a Head of Professional Development specialising in professional development for postgraduate international work placement students on the schools MSc Management with streams, International MBA and MSc Accounting and Finance programmes.
This role is responsible for delivering high quality teaching, academic support, project supervision and module leadership to work placement students. The Head of Professional Development is expected to make key contributions to the development and quality of relevant teaching and learning materials that engage students to develop their knowledge and apply it to the work placement experience.
The Head of Professional Development is expected to support students by bringing their own wide and current understanding of general business, management and accounting and knowledge of how business and employability skill sets are developed for students’ professional development. They are responsible for supporting learners by making contact at key points in their study, marking and providing feedback on assignments, helping learners understand the module material in the context of their own professional journey and supporting them to prepare for module assessment and work placement. Learners organise their own study time, but often need support and coaching to successfully manage their studies and to make connections between academic theory and workplace practice through their learning journey.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Be accountable for high quality module learning and resource development, using relevant professional syllabus material to create high quality, engaging teaching and learning materials, including formative, multiple choice and other assessment materials.
- Develop and deliver high quality and consistent teaching materials including detailed schemes of work, topic guidance, activity checklists, content, (including webinar slides and resources).
- Work with the Heads of Programme and Head of Quality Assurance to ensure that all teaching and learning is continuously improved.
- Act as an accessible and timely first point of contact for learners for module and study-related advice and support, facilitating study groups where appropriate
- Make proactive contact with learners at a number of defined points in the programme
- Provide expert support and guidance for the relevant teams
- Understand professional work place needs and support students to develop relevant skills
- Examining, assessment and marking within the relevant programmes.
- Supervising learner projects within the relevant programmes.
- Undertake scholarship activities and contribute to the research base within the School. Raise the profile of the School through attendance at conferences and externally published scholarship and research
- Providing academic support for commercial and business development activities within the School. Ad hoc provision of client liaison and support as required.
- Responsible for the Tier 4 compliance of all work placement students
- Any other duties appropriate to the grade and nature of the post.
Skills, knowledge and qualifications required for ROLE
- A Level 7 (Post-Graduate) or relevant Professional Qualification.
- If candidate does not have either of the desirable criteria, then a commitment to achieving either of these through BPP’s PGCPE (Post Graduate Certificate in Professional Education) or Headway, BPP’s accredited CPD scheme.
- A teaching qualification (at any level) relevant to the discipline.
- Fellowship of the HEA
- A coaching qualification
- Significant practitioner experience in your field
- Experience of coaching, supervising and mentoring learners in an academic and professional context
- An understanding of the professional landscape for the future
- Some experience in teaching at the graduate or professional level or delivering training and seminars, especially in the subject matter to be taught
- Experience in writing engaging learning materials for face to face and online delivery
- Experience of providing guidance and leadership to a teaching team
- Excellent written communication skills
- Excellent presentation skills
- Commercially and educationally focussed with leadership and coaching skills
- Excellent computer/IT skills
- The ability to work well in a team and be collaborative
- Good communication and active listening skills
- Have a flexible and responsive approach to workload and the ability to proactively prioritise accordingly
Please note the successful candidate will be required to undergo a DBS check