Senior Legal Counsel
Research and Innovation Division
At the University of Newcastle, our staff are curious. We think big, see opportunity and are open to ideas and ask why. We share wisdom and partner with colleagues in Australia and around the globe to create an enduring impact. And we're courageous - bold thinkers who have the confidence to take risks and to inspire change. We attract, foster and retain remarkable professional staff who actively contribute to our reputation.
Callaghan is located on 140 hectares of natural bushland. We have a reputation for having one of the most naturally beautiful campuses in Australia and is 12kms from beaches and the heart of Newcastle.
Is NEW for you?
The Senior Legal Counsel (Research & Commercialisation) is responsible for the provision of high-quality legal advice to support research and commercialisation opportunities including negotiation of research contracts, intellectual property management, patent protection and technology transfer. Working in an area of growth for the university, the role will have a particular focus on the University’s Research, Innovation and Commercialisation endeavours and will provide technical expertise and leadership to enable industry engagement, innovation, and technology transfer within UON. This role is unique and has the ability to shape and define models and processes related to the commercialisation of UON research and intellectual property assets.
What will you do?
- As a practicing solicitor your duties will include but are not limited to:
- leading a team that provides a range of research and commercialisation legal services to University clients, including reviewing, drafting and negotiating research related commercial contracts;
- Providing expert advice on and the preparation of legal documents with research related commercial and institutional partners;
- Advising internal University clients on the legal risks associated with their commercial opportunities and the options available to address these;
- Drafting, advising and helping to structure commercialisation instruments to facilitate the translation of early stage IP into investible opportunities for external entities.
This opportunity will suit someone with approximately 6+ years’ of experience who can work within a complex and simulating environment. You will have a genuine interest and capacity to work with multiple stakeholders effectively providing sound commercial advice and building meaningful relationships. You will be able to maintain strong and functional relationships across the institution with key stakeholders including the Legal Office. You will enjoy providing mentoring and leadership to your direct reports and appreciate being part of a functional and cohesive team. To be successful we are seeking a quick learner with a positive attitude that has:
- Tertiary qualifications in law
- Unrestricted Legal Practicing Certificate and at least 7 years of commercial practice ideally within a research commercialisation or University context.
- Experience and expertise in the provision of specialised legal advice relating to business investment, commercialisation structures, information technology, intellectual property and research- related contracts and funding agreements.
If you are looking to expand your career and take that next big step into a role that offers ownership over your portfolio and a genuine leadership role, then this role is for you.
For a full job description visit https://www.newcastle.edu.au/about-uon/jobs-at-uon/job-vacancies
Applications for this position will only be accepted from those with Australian residency or a valid work permit.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander applicants are encouraged to apply.
What NEW can offer?
From a flexible working environment to discounts in private health insurance and gym memberships, we offer access to a wide range of employee benefits including salary packaging. You can learn more about these at https://www.newcastle.edu.au/about-uon/jobs-at-uon/benefits-at-a-glance
We provide opportunities for all people regardless of their background and experience, and this philosophy is reflected across all that we do.
The remuneration is from $120,930 + 17% super and is commensurate with experience.
Your next steps
Click on 'Apply for this job'. Your application will be assessed on selection criteria. Read all information about the role so you understand what is required. In addition:
- Follow all directions and complete all necessary fields of the application; and
- In your selection criteria demonstrate clearly how your skills and experience meet each point and should be a maximum of four pages.
Closing Date: Sunday, 24 February 2019