Dean of the College of Engineering
Job Title Dean of the College of Engineering
Department Name Vice President for Academic Affairs
Qatar University is inviting nominations and applications for the position of the Dean of the College of Engineering. Reporting to the Vice President for Academic Affairs, the Dean must be a proven leader with the skills and expertise necessary to fully implement the College’s mission and vision.
Qatar University Profile:
Founded in 1977, Qatar University is the only comprehensive national university in the State of Qatar and, consequently, enjoys the enthusiastic support of its government and citizens. With vibrant undergraduate and graduate programs, the University offers a wide array of academic and community outreach programs, and conducts research related to national needs and priorities. The University hosts nine colleges: Arts and Sciences, Business and Economics, Education, Engineering, Law, Pharmacy, Health Sciences, Medicine, and Sharia and Islamic Studies. Many of its academic programs, including the University itself, hold (or are seeking) accreditation from international agencies. Qatar University is proud of its beautiful campus located in the northern outskirts of the capital city, Doha. The University serves over 25,000 students and employs 1,400 faculty drawn from around the world--a diversity that reflects the international nature of the country. Faculty are experts in education and actively utilize a variety of pedagogies and practices to enhance learning and produce top research addressing national needs and regional priorities. Qatar University is a comprehensive university offering more than 50 different disciplines at the undergraduate level in addition to a large number of programs at the master and doctorate levels.
Since its inception in 1980, Qatar University’s College of Engineering has been strategically positioned to provide Qatar with high-quality professional, competent and committed engineers ready to shape their country’s future and contribute to its economic and social growth.
The College of Engineering offer 8 undergraduate programs, 7 Master programs, and 12 PhD programs. In addition, the College has 142 outstanding faculty, and 156 post-doctoral and research assistants. The College has over 3000 diverse undergraduate and graduate students, 50% of whom are female.
Academic rigor, teaching effectiveness, and faculty research productivity are central to College of Engineering's mission. The College of Engineering has been fully accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET). Continuing Qatar University's tradition of offering world-class educational opportunities the College's Architecture program recently received substantial equivalency recognition from The National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB).
The Qatar University’s College of Engineering is also proud to be one the most professionally productive engineering institutions in the region. Faculty projects attract research funding in excess of US $90 million (QR 350 million), placing their work among Qatar's most influential academic initiatives. Students at the College are actively involved in research-based education performing hands-on research, and competing internationally in engineering competitions. The College of Engineering maintains extensive connections with local and international companies, and houses funded research chairs from leading companies in Qatar and across the globe. The College also emphasizes international research collaboration and has strong international research links with universities in more than 40 countries throughout North America, Europe, and Asia.
The College has several specialized centers focusing on cutting-edge research in fields such as cyber security technologies, smart sensory systems and data science through the integration of intelligent data processing software and hardware (KINDI Center), Qatar's gas processing industry (Gas Processing Center), and transportation and traffic safety (Qatar Transportation and Traffic Safety Center).
With the emergence of a fourth industrial revolution, the University is seeking a vibrant leader who continue to expand and enhance the College's many successes, while actively exploring new opportunities to lead the College into the future.
Duties & Responsibilities
Candidates should have an outstanding record of teaching, research, and administrative experience, and possess the qualifications necessary for senior-level leadership appointment in the College of Engineering. The candidate must have demonstrated academic, administrative, leadership, and communication skills. The Dean reports to the Vice President for Academic Affairs and is a member of the Academic Council and the University Council. The roles and responsibilities of college’s deans are governed by Qatar University bylaws. Deans are expected to provide leadership in the following areas:
Leadership and Strategic Plan
The Dean plays active role in developing and overseeing the College of Engineering's strategic plan, and supports QU strategy in general. He/she should demonstrate an ability to enthusiastically articulate and advance the mission of the Qatar University College of Engineering within the University, the accrediting agencies, and the various constituents the College serves. He/she is expected to develop and implement a plan of action for maintaining College and programs accreditation, and ensure that all programs are in full compliance with accreditation standards and timelines.
Academic Programs, Students, and Faculty
The Dean is responsible for ensuring the quality of the College's academic programs, the excellence of its faculty, and the preparation of its students. The Dean oversees faculty recruitment and performance evaluation as well as student recruitment and retention. The Dean ensures that institutional and College policies and procedures are followed fully and fairly.
Budgetary Oversight of College Administration
The Dean is responsible for the College’s budget in line with university financial regulations. He/she is expected to work closely with Associate Deans, Heads of Departments, Research Centers Directors as well as the Vice President for Academic Affairs to develop the college budget based on needs and strategic priorities. Moreover, the Dean is expected to supervise Heads of Departments, Center Directors, Associate/Assistant Deans, and staff, and to model leadership policies and practices which create a positive role model for the entire College community.
Research, Innovation and College Outlook
The Dean is expected to lead College innovation and research strategy, to ensure that the various disciplines maintain their leading roles in research and are empowered to expand on past successes in order to explore new areas of excellence and are aligned with QU's and the nation's innovation priorities.
- Doctoral degree in a relevant academic field from a reputable university;
- Documented record of administrative leadership experience;
- Minimum of ten years of teaching and research at the graduate level;
- Current academic rank of Professor/Associate Professor with academic tenure
- Demonstrated record of collaborative decision-making;
- Demonstrated experience with budget management;
- Ability to communicate fluently in both Arabic and English.
- An entrepreneurial spirit.
Applications should be submitted via our online application portal at http://recruit.qu.edu.qa/pls/recruitment/rec. Please complete all application sections and ensure that you attach:
- A letter of application, concisely outlining your interest in and qualifications for the position;
- A current curriculum vitae;
- Any additional documentation that you feel is relevant to your application;
- Names and contact information of three referees.
- Copy of highest earned credential (transcript of highest degree if graduated from an institution where course work was completed. However, if no course work was completed, a copy of certificate letter from the registrar of your highest credential granting institution regarding your highest academic degree).
- A Three Year Renewable Contract
- Internationally competitive, tax-exempt income; (salary is commensurate with experience)
- Furnished accommodation (in accordance with QU HR policies);
- Annual air ticket to home country (for employee, spouse and up to 3 children);
- Educational allowance for candidate's children in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Private health insurance in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual Leave in accordance with QU HR policies
- End-of-contract indemnity
How To Apply
- Returning Applicant: Please login in QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) to update/edit your saved profile. Use this profile to apply for this position.
- New Applicant: You need to setup an account with QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) and complete your personal profile. Once your profile is complete you may use it to apply for an open Position.
Academic End Date of Advertisment 31-Jan-2019