What are the judges looking for?
The judges will be assessing excellence across eight categories, with two others being assessed using THE data previously collected for our suite of university rankings (these do not require entries from institutions). They will be looking for clear planning and strategy, coupled with excellent delivery and outcomes. Universities are encouraged, where appropriate, to provide evidence in the form of metrics that demonstrate success as well as a narrative and examples that demonstrate the positive impact of their work. Judges will also be looking for examples of creative solutions to common challenges, innovation that has improved a university’s performance and broadened its impact, and where possible instances of excellence that are scalable or transferrable to other higher education institutions.
Eligible countries and territories
These awards are simple to enter and open to anyone involved in higher education in the following countries and territories:
Afghanistan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Bhutan, British Indian Ocean Territory, Cambodia, China, Christmas Island, Cocos (Keeling) Islands, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Lebanon, Macao, Malaysia, Maldives, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, North Korea, Oman, Pakistan, Palestinian Territory, Philippines, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Syria, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, Uzbekistan, Vietnam, Yemen
The information below will help you prepare your entry. Please note that the entry system will open on 11 November 2019.
- Entry is free.
- Entries must be submitted in English.
- The judges will be looking for outstanding examples of best practice during the past 12 months. We will accept submissions based on projects, initiatives or endeavours that commenced prior to the past 12 months if core activity has taken place during this main period of focus.
- All entries must be submitted online. We open for entries on 11 November 2019, and the final deadline is extended to 23:59 GMT on Monday 27 January 2020. Please note that there will be no deadline extension this year and late entries will not be accepted, so please allow plenty of time to complete and submit your entry.
- You must register with us in order to enter our awards. Once registered, your details will be retained on the site whenever you are logged in. If you entered the THE Awards Asia last year, those login details should still be valid. Your details will not be shared with any third party, and will only be used by us for awards-related communications.
- When logged in, entries can be drafted and redrafted as many times as you wish – please click ‘SAVE’ any time you wish to leave an incomplete submission. When finalised, please click the ‘SUBMIT’ button.
- The judges will be looking for a good story, well told, and backed up with solid metrics where applicable.
- Submissions must consist of up to 500 words of text specifically addressing the key criteria set out for the relevant category. You may also attach up to two sets of materials which should support or expand on aspects of your 500-word text. Supporting documentation should be no more than four sides of A4 in total (entries may be printed out during shortlisting and final judging). Please see below for more details on the supporting material requirements.
- If you wish to submit tables or graphics, they should be included within your supporting materials rather than as part of the submission text.
- **NEW for 2020** Your main submissions will remain confidential, but this year we are also asking you to send us a shorter version (150 words maximum), which will be published on this website if the entry is shortlisted. We will be directing people to this Shortlist Hub in our marketing, so you can look forward to your work receiving far greater exposure than last year. We understand that some submissions contain sensitive information, so please ensure that your edited version contains only information that you are happy for us to share publicly.
- You may enter as many categories as you wish, but no single submission can be entered in more than one category. If you are unsure which is the best category for your entry, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- An institution may submit more than one entry per category where projects or initiatives are distinctive and unrelated. Otherwise, we advise you to combine the best elements of each in a stronger single entry.
- You may enter a project that has been undertaken in collaboration with an external public or private partner, but the award will be given to the winning higher education institution.
- If your entry is based on a collaboration with other institutions, the submission should come from the lead institution. In such cases, please enter “<lead institution> in collaboration with <name> University” or, in cases where the institutions are working under a collective banner or project name, “<project name (the universities of x, y and z)>”, in the ‘Institution‘ field on the entry form, and we will credit all institutions if shortlisted.
- If there is no lead institution in a collaborative project, to avoid multiple entries focusing on the same activity, please agree who will make the submission on behalf of the partnership, and enter “institution a> and <institution b>” in the ‘Institution’ field.
- Entries can be completed by those working at institutions, or public relations consultants working on an institution’s instruction. If you are entering on behalf of an institution, please ensure that you supply an institutional contact as well as your own.
- If you are an individual considering submitting an entry, we ask that you let senior management and your university’s marketing team know that you are doing so (though no formal letter of approval is required by THE ).
- The shortlist will be published on 5 March 2020, with the winners being announced at a gala awards ceremony during our Asia Universities Summit 2020 taking place at Fujita Health University in Nagoya, Japan from 2-4 June 2020.
- If you are shortlisted, we will send you a notification email which will include your unique nomination code number, previously issued in the email confirming your original entry. Please check that these numbers are the same.
- For anyone facing problems submitting entries via the website, please email THEAwardsAsia@timeshighereducation.com and we will send you an Excel form to complete instead. This form must be completed in English, and returned to us with any supplementary documents and your institution’s logo. Please enter “THE Awards Asia 2020 submission: [institution name]” in the subject line of your email.
Documents must be in PDF or Word doc format.
- Up to two sets of supporting documents may be submitted, but in total they should comprise no more than four sides of A4. PowerPoint and video files will not be accepted; however, you may submit screenshots.
- Supporting materials may include photographs, tables, graphs, documents containing statistics, testimonials, supporting research, evaluation or inspection reports, promotional materials and media coverage
Any information submitted outside these guidelines will not be considered as part of the submission.
The contact details you provide in your entry form will be used by us throughout the awards process. This will be the person who receives all direct correspondence from us, including acknowledgement of submission, notification of shortlisting, and marketing materials in the event of you being shortlisted and winning. If you would like to change your main point of contact at any time during the process, please send the new person’s contact information by email to THEAwardsAsia@timeshighereducation.com. Please also use this email address for any questions you might have.
Please contact email@example.com if you have any specific questions about eligibility, or if you require clarification about any of the category criteria.
To be kept updated with the latest news about THE Awards Asia, please join our mailing list by clicking here.