Research facilities at CityU
City University of Hong Kong has two university research institutes, 20 research centres and seven applied strategic development centres, which provide platforms for intellectual exchange for researchers across disciplines and foster interdisciplinary research.
In addition, with the approval of the Ministry of Science and Technology of China, CityU has established two State Key Laboratories and one Chinese National Engineering Research Center.
Research institutes as international focal point
The Institute for Advanced Study at CityU adds an impressive intellectual dimension to campus activities, marking a new phase in the promotion of innovative research by world-leading scholars and researchers, including Nobel laureates and academicians, to contribute solutions to pressing real-world problems.
The IAS provides research fellowships to enable world-leading visiting scholars to spearhead bold new research initiatives and nurture postdoctoral, postgraduate and undergraduate students in the pursuit of knowledge.
The Hong Kong Institute for Data Science aspires to be an international focal point for excellence in research initiatives and translational research activities in data science, with the goal of providing researchers and practitioners with the necessary tools to harness the power of big data.
Hong Kong branches of state-level laboratories
Two State Key Laboratories are housed at CityU: the State Key Laboratory of Millimeter Waves, and the State Key Laboratory in Marine Pollution. The former focuses on advancements and applications of millimetre wave and terahertz technologies, while the latter conducts research on marine pollution problems in Hong Kong and southern China.
The Hong Kong Branch of the National Precious Metals Material Engineering Research Center was established to strengthen the overall capacity of the Chinese National Engineering Research Center by developing research on precious metals and nanomaterials.
University research centres
- Center of Super-Diamond and Advanced Films
- Liu Bie Ju Centre for Mathematical Sciences
- Centre for Judicial Education and Research
College/school research centres
- Multimedia Software Engineering Research Centre
- Guy Carpenter Asia-Pacific Climate Impact Centre
- Centre for Applied Computing and Interactive Media
- Centre for Chaos and Complex Networks
- Centre for Functional Photonics
- Centre for Chinese and Comparative Law
- Center for Communication Research
- The Halliday Centre for Intelligent Applications of Language Studies
- Southeast Asia Research Centre
- Centre for Advanced Structural Materials
- Centre for System Informatics Engineering
- Ability R&D Energy Research Centre
- Centre for Social Media Marketing and Business Intelligence
- Centre for Biosystems, Neuroscience, and Nanotechnology
- Centre for Robotics and Automation
- Centre for East Asian and Comparative Philosophy
- Research Centre on One-Belt-One-Road
Applied strategic development centres
- Centre for Innovative Applications of Internet and Multimedia Technologies
- Centre for Smart Energy Conversion and Utilization Research
- Hong Kong Commercial and Maritime Law Centre
- Center on Global Internet Finance
- Center for Advanced Nuclear Safety and Sustainable Development
- Centre for Applied One Health Research and Policy Advice
- Research Centre for Sustainable Hong Kong