The journey to global prominence

11:30 - 11:30

Transport from Radisson Blu Hotel to Amity University

12:00 - 17:00

Registration

12:00 - 12:45

Welcome lunch

12:45 - 14:00

Reputation management masterclass: branding and communications in Indian higher education

The foundation of a good reputation in higher education is high quality teaching and research; however clear branding and communication of a university's work can help raise global awareness of its excellence. This workshop with a leading HE branding expert helps to identify the key factors that must be in place to further improve your university's reputation.
Speakers
14:00 - 14:15

Networking refreshments

14:15 - 15:30

Faculties of the future: how universities in South Asia can recruit more efficiently

Smart recruitment of the right academics can transform a university's future. This session features expert advice on attracting faculty and is run by a leading consultant in the field of higher education hiring solutions.
Speakers
15:30 - 15:45

Networking refreshments

15:45 - 17:00

THE University Impact Rankings masterclass: Redefining excellence in global higher education

Pioneered in 2019, the THE University Impact Rankings are the world's first rankings to measure universities' social and economic impact, based on the United Nations' Sustainable Development Goals. The rankings recognise excellence in higher education not through traditional metrics such as research and prestige, but through an innovative range of performance indicators, looking at a university's stewardship of its resources, its outreach and its research in specific fields relating to the SDGs. THE's chief knowledge officer Phil Baty will explain the new rankings' methodology and explore insights into India's performance from the pilot results.
Speakers
17:00 - 17:00

Transport from Amity University to Radisson Blu Hotel

19:30 - 20:00

Drinks reception

20:00 - 22:00

Welcome dinner

09:30 - 09:30

Transport from Radisson Blu Hotel to Amity University

09:30 - 10:30

Registration and welcome refreshments

10:30 - 11:00

Opening remarks

Speakers
11:00 - 11:30

Keynote: The globalisation of higher education in India: History and prospects for the 21st century

Higher education in India has evolved from its colonial origins to the modern era but there are obstacles that need to be overcome for the sector's future success to be realised. How can state supported universities transform into major global centres of research and teaching, and how can private universities flourish and enhance their reputation? A concerted effort that would provide both greater oversight and support, bringing together private and public funding as well as more consistent governance models seems critical at this moment - could this happen?
Speakers
11:30 - 12:45

Internationalisation in India: experience and opportunity

For decades, there has been a strong outbound flow of Indian academics to top US and other foreign institutions. Conversely, only a trickle of international academics and students has reached the Indian academy. This panel will examine why, and discover what the government and universities are doing to reverse the situation. They will also scrutinise the will for the Indian university sector to become more international - and the benefits of such a move - and what more could be done to promote global collaboration.
Chair
Speakers
12:45 - 13:15

Keynote: Transforming India into a knowledge society - aspirations to research excellence and corresponding opportunities for international collaboration

India is aiming to transform its higher education institutions to embody a culture of research, not just teaching excellence. International collaboration and an interdisciplinary approach can help universities to achieve this.
Speakers
13:15 - 14:15

Networking lunch

14:15 - 15:00

Creating entrepreneurial universities for research and development

Historically, research and development funding at Indian universities has come from government, but collaboration with industry is still an area to be developed at many institutions. This panel will examine how universities can best create and harness innovation partnerships, and look at the readiness of Indian universities to become more entrepreneurial in their outlook.
Chair
Speakers
15:00 - 15:30

Keynote: Fulfilling our potential: teaching and research excellence in the UK and India

The UK's recent former universities and science minister examines the factors that drive higher quality outcomes, impact and value for money in higher education.
Speakers
15:30 - 15:50

Networking refreshments

15:50 - 16:20

The road not taken: public policy and higher education in India and China, 2000-2020

In 2000, India and China had similar gross enrolment ratios for higher education. And although the ratios have grown in both countries since then, the rates of growth are very different. Some of the difference is grounded in the two nations' demographics, but some of it is the result of choices and priorities and varying resource allocations. The aim here is to compare and contrast these factors.
Speakers
16:20 - 17:40

How is India performing in the rankings?

THE's chief knowledge officer Phil Baty will draw insights from the past five years of the global rankings to examine the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats facing India's universities on the world stage, providing some talking points for future policy and strategy. The session will be followed by an open critical debate about the role and methodology of rankings, to help THE develop its next generation of rankings.
Chair
Speakers
17:40 - 17:55

Closing remarks

Speakers
18:00 - 18:00

Transport from Amity University to Radisson Blu Hotel